Recently, the World Economic Forum revealed it will take 202 years for women to achieve economic gender parity at our current rate. Two hundred and two. Let that sink in for a moment. Doesn’t quite seem right does it? At McAfee, we believe every single employee should be compensated fairly and equally for their individual contribution and impact to the company, regardless of gender. Which is why we’re committed to acting now to address any gender pay parity discrepancy in the first half of 2019.
This announcement underlines our unwavering commitment to inclusion and diversity. When McAfee reaches global pay parity in 2019, we will be the first pure-play cybersecurity company to do so. And while study after study reinforces the simple fact that diversity drives prosperity, we’re still falling short with just 11% female representation in cybersecurity.
Making significant progress is not going to happen overnight. It also won’t happen on its own. We need greater collaboration to help drive the actions that will change the conversation. So in the spirit of transparency and sharing best practice, here are five steps McAfee is undertaking to achieve gender pay parity:
- We define pay parity. At McAfee, pay parity means fair and equal pay for employees in the same job, level and location, controlling for pay differentiators such as performance, tenure and experience, regardless of gender.
- We review our employee data integrity. Audit employee job codes to ensure they appropriately represent the employee’s role.
- We analyze our data. Group employees by job code, level and location to evaluate any gaps outside of the predetermined controlling factors.
- We adjust pay. If a gap is found between females and males within the group, our purpose is to ensure nothing about a person’s gender is causing the discrepancy and to make adjustments if needed.
- We uphold pay parity. This will not be just a point in time review, but an annual analysis to stay the course. But maintaining pay parity also means keeping it at the forefront throughout the year—from our hiring practices to how we promote and reward our employees.
In these five steps lies a momentous promise to equality. Each day, I’m proud to work alongside a team dedicated to creating a workplace where all voices, perspectives and experiences are welcomed, where everyone can belong. But our investment in pay parity is among the most important steps in showing our people we value them, equally.
With this commitment, we continue to live our values, build an inclusive culture, create better workplaces and build stronger communities. I’m honored to join companies beyond the world of cyber already striving towards pay parity and I hope more will join us in reaching this milestone in equality.
Ready to work for a company committed to equality? McAfee is hiring!
Disclaimer: This blog was originally published on LinkedIn